Most people don't get enough omega 3 DHA* from their diet alone1. DHA helps to ensure that your brain is functioning normally2.
For over 25 years Efamol has conducted numerous clinical trials into the role of DHA and brain function. Efamol was pioneering in discovering the importance of DHA for brain health2, especially in children.
Our brains are mostly made up of fat, with DHA being the most abundant omega 3 fatty acid, making up to 50% of the fatty acids in some brain cells. It forms the outer structure of our cells and has consistently been found to play a unique role in normal brain development and function. Along with the structural role DHA plays in the brain, it is also involved in cell signalling, which is how your brain cells communicate with each other. This is particularly concentrated at ‘synaptic terminals’ where brain chemical signs are exchanged.
Did you know that only a third of UK adults eat the recommended 2 portions of fish a week, including one oily fish and this drops to a tenthin children?1
Pregnancy and early years
DHA is beneficial right from the foetal stage as the brain starts to develop3, it accumulates in baby's brains throughout early infancy. During pregnancy, and for the duration of breastfeeding, a mother’s diet and body stores provide the foetus and baby with DHA for normal brain development. Mothers need to obtain enough DHA to support their own needs and those of the rapidly developing child.3
Efamol® Kids Omega 3 DHA Drops
High strength Omega 3:
- Suitable for babies from 6 months and young children
- A great choice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you find it hard to digest capsules
- Easy to mix or hide into foods with its natural lemon flavour
- 1ml daily intake contains 400mg of DHA helps to support normal brain function and vision.2
Brain DHA levels continue to increase throughout childhood and adolescence, peaking only in young adulthood.5 In the first five years of life, children’s brains are developing faster than any other stage in life. New connections between brain and nerve cells are being made constantly as they experience new things. This helps with the development of new skills including language, vision, attention span, motor skills and cognition.
Efamol® Efalex Brain Formula Capsules
Omega 3 Fish Oil & Omega 6 Evening Primrose Oil:
- Suitable for children aged 5+ – these tiny capsules are easy for children to swallow
- Suitable for the whole family
- High strength DHA + DHA supports normal brain function and vision2
- Contains AA - the second most abundant fat in the brain.
The brain breaks down small amounts of DHA daily, so a good dietary intake of DHA remains important across the whole lifespan. DHA is critical in both vision and brain function, and when combined with EPA is plays an important role in the normal function of the heart.4
Efamol® Efamax UltraStrength Fish Oil
800mg of Omega 3 DHA + EPA:
- Suitable for adults, this ultra-strength formula is one of the strongest on the UK market containing 800mg of DHA + EPA
- Suitable for use during pregnancy
- DHA supports normal brain function and vision2
- DHA + EPA support normal function of the heart.4
Our brains begin to shrink after the age of 40 at a rate of around 5% every 10 years and possibly even quicker after the age of 70.6 This affects our ability to think quickly and to recall from short-term memory. Studies suggest that an adequate amount of DHA is important for the health of the aging adult brain7 and contributes to sustained brain function as we age.8
Efamol® Active Memory
For maintenance of brain function:
- Developed for the maintenance of brain function in adults
- High in DHA which supports normal brain function2
- Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid support normal psychological function
- Ginkgo Biloba helps maintain memory with age decline.
*Docosahexaenoic Acid. 1. HSIS Dietary Trends report 2019. https://www.hsis.org/wp-conent/uploads/2019/06/HSIS-Dietary-Trends-report-2019.pdf [Accessed 25.05.2021]. 2. 250mg of DHA daily contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function and normal vision. 3. Maternal intake of DHA contributes to the normal development of the eye of the foetus and breastfed infants. The beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 200 mg of DHA in addition to the recommended daily intake of 250 mg DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). 4. 250mg of DHA and EPA daily helps support the normal function of the heart. 5. Carver J., Benford V., Han B., and Cantor A. Brain Res. Bull. 2001, 56, 79–85. doi: 10.1016/S0361-9230(01)00551-2. 6. Peters R. Postgrad. Med. J., 2006, 82, 84–88. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2005.036665. 7. Weiser, M. J., Butt, C. M., and Mohajeri, M. H. Nutrients, 2006, 8, 99. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8020099. 8. Denis I., Potier B., Vancassel S., Heberden C., and Lavialle M. Ageing Res Rev., 2013, 12, 579-94. doi: 10.1016/j.arr.2013.01.007.