Chermoula is a marinade and relish used in Algerian, Libyan, Moroccan and Tunisian cooking with a rich herby taste. Serve with chilli flakes for a hint of warm spice or without for a family friendly dish.
- 1 salmon fillet, skin on is essential, weighing about 500g/1lb 2oz
For the marinade:
- 3 cups fresh coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika, - powder or paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp water
- Coriander leaves
- Chilli flakes
- Tip all the ingredients for the marinade into a food processor and blitz until you have a rough paste. Sit the salmon in a dish and rub the marinade all over the flesh. Leave for 1 hr or overnight in the fridge.
- Fold a length of foil longer than the fish into a strip and sit the salmon on top, skin-side down. Place in a preheated oven at 200o for 20 minutes. Using the foil, carefully lift the fish onto a platter and scatter with coriander and a sprinkle of chilli flakes (optional). Best served with a simple side salad.